Sunday, March 20, 2011

Goals, Reality and Faith - Give up Worry - trust Divine Providence!

March 2011

From the end-of-season with Ambassatours, Oct 31st, 2010 and into January 2011  - I was unemployed and looking for work.  I took a week-long resume class, a networking workshop, and even applied to Acadian Lines and Ambassatours for full-time work - anything to get away from EI and seasonal employment.  Ambassatours had taken my resume and I felt sure I had a chance.  Acadian offered me a job but Ambassatours was holding me at bay so I asked Acadian to pause so I could wait and see what my fate was with my previous employer. 



But here is what God allowed to happen:  I got a phone call from a fellow driver.  He had been watching me for 8 years or so and when his son was talking to him about needing a good man, this gentleman mentioned my name and the card was played. He suggested I give his son a call.  

I hesitated for a couple days then finally summoned up the nerve and called.  It was surely only by faith and trust that I made that call. My experience in management was zero, nada, nilch, besides managing my home and trying to get through life.  But whatever I had shone through for my fellow driver friend so I felt obligated to follow through.  We chatted a bit and he wanted to meet in person and we made the appointment.


On January 20th, I had an interview totally off my radar that answered prayer and was placed before me by divine intervention. (At least I see it that way). I talked with his son - he is a young man with a lot of ambition - 24 years younger than I am - but with all the things I had dreamed of when I was his age.  He drives a Porche Cayenne sports car, owns his own successful business, has a family and loving wife and a new branch of his Newfoundland business, in Nova Scotia.  We talked about where he came from, what he had accomplished, and where I came from and the experience I could bring.  I am not sure exactly but I feel he was taking his Dad's word (who was also a successful (now retired) business man) and told me all about the Operations Managers position for the provincial office.


I came home that morning in total shock and to be honest started to wonder if I was dreaming or would I be biting off more than I could chew - that was coming from the lack of confidence from so many, layoffs, short term jobs, and life's trials. 


Get this!!! Five days later, on January 25th, I had two emails - one from Ambassatours in the morning telling me there was no position being filled. So much for that!  

The other email came from this young man telling me I had an offer attached for consideration and review.  My Mom always said "in God's time" and this couldn't have been truer than at that time!  The starting salary he was offering blew my mind!!!  I read the detailed  job description over and over and put my mind around each task.  This was what I had done in life, managed this, controlled that, but when I was doing it, I was alone and I had to answer only to myself.  This time I was to be entrusted with what I considered to be "his dynasty" and now I would answer to him. I prayed daily for guidance!  I even called for clarification on some points.  After a thoughtful night on my knees, with faith and trust in God, I accepted the full time permanent position offered to me.  He was elated and returned my call with excitement.  Start date: Feb 1st!

When February rolled in I started my management position at a company I had not heard of until a fateful phone call made me aware of the opportunity.  It will be a month and three quarters tomorrow and I have to say the job is what anyone my age dreams of.  Monday to Friday - 8:00 - 4:00 - weekends and holidays off and two weeks paid vacation.  We even talked about possibly more money now that he has seen my progress.

I had made so many goals in my life, and reality seemed to slide by without reaching them.  It took almost 55 years to finally come to a point in my life where a simple networked phone call solved financial, and self-confidence issues with one fair swoop.  My faith held tough - God answers prayers in His time.  It may have taken those answers a long time to come, and a lot of lessons were learned on the way - but isn't that God's way?


I tried the online hype and lost that race. I held jobs back in the 70's and 80's for years, but progress means layoff.  In the 90's to 2010, I tried going it on my own - self-employment - driving, courier, shuttle driver, bus driver - but they all were just preparing me with tools - emotional and psychological tools - to handle something God had in mind for me.  I kept wondering what I was doing wrong when all along I was doing exactly what I was meant to do.  Every day was a point on God's map for my life.


Each week during the short month of February I quizzed him on my progress and his feelings on my work.  Each time he said it was "excellent" and subtly and gradually has given me more - which by ethic and habit I take on with determination and ethical focus.  My hidden management skills shine through and as I learn more they come easier.


My goals today may be the same, a new car, a home I can call my own, and financial freedom, but I'm letting God lead the way - I'm handing it all to Him.  In His time!


All I can say each day is "Praise God!"  

If you feel discouraged, drop to your knees and hand it over to Him - or whatever power you believe in.  He'll open windows as the doors shut behind you.


Have a great lent season.  Give up Worry - trust Divine Providence!


Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment