Friday, March 19, 2010

My doctor was impressed

Hello from sunny Nova Scotia!!!

I just wanted to drop in a note or two on the happenings of the week. It's been interesting!

Now that the days are longer we all can take advantage of the extra light in the evening to go for that oh so important walk. I have been getting 3 sessions in at the gym and a walk a day. What a difference!! The fresh air, the sounds of birds and wind in my face makes my walks less mechanical then the treadmill and I get real 'hill' workouts. But that isn't to say I don't do cardio at the gym. I still put in at least 30 minutes and have reached as high as an hour in a stretch. Then I take 30 minutes to work my lower or upper body to provide strength and balance. Dear Ashley, my personal trainer, is leaving (sadly) but she was kind enough to write up a program card for me so I won't miss a beat.

Oh, and speaking of beats. It had been 6 months since my last appointment, so this past Tuesday I made an appointment to see my physician. The main reason was for the blood pressure check that has become quite important for me. Well, well, well!!! He put the cuff around my bicep, pumped it up, and we both waited as he took the measurement. He looked, then did it again! I asked him why the second time. He said he had a hard time believing the reading and felt a double take is always wise. I responded - I hope the "reading" is good?!! He looked at me and said, and I quote: "Do you realize that your blood pressure used to be 145 over 98?". I said, "yes, and that was high". He responded, "well it is 134 over 78 now - what have you been doing???" It is practically and obviously normal and even a little below!!! (normal being 120/80). The 78 was the key number here!! It was truly spectacular. He asked again, "What have you been doing?"

I told him I had joined a gym as a start, removed salt/sodium from my diet, and was eating healthy chocolate. He is convinced that the three things I am doing are the best I could be doing compared to a life on a blood pressure tablet and he was impressed. He wishes everyone would stand back and see how important it is to take care of yourself. I left the doctors office with a smile on my face (not something you see too much of at a clinic).

So take my advice. It may take 6 or 3 or even 1 month (depending on your condition), but take stock of yourself - workout (at least move 30 minutes a day) - eat right? (fruit, veggies, anything but fat and sodium), and supplement that with a healthy treat to help with oxidation in your system - (recommendation - Xocai, The Healthy Chocolate! dark rich cold pressed Belgium chocolate with acai berry cold pressed for a perfect guilt free treat)

It has been a fantastic week! Join me in that feeling.

Refocus! Get fit! Make your doctor impressed.

Have a great day

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment