Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cardio needs resistance too

Thursday's Workout

This is just a quick update of today's workout.  Ashley teaches me new things that dispel myths every session.

For example, a person sometimes thinks that a treadmill is all anyone needs for weight loss and strength.  It's just not true.  It does indeed help one lose weight but at the expense of muscle as well.  You need to have resistance training to compliment it.  True it does help legs both upper and lower but not enough.

Today I started with 15 minutes at 3.5 on the treadmill.  My heart rate got up to 140 bpm or so.  Any less and it's useless, so my goal is to get that puppy having me walk and even running (once I get new sneakers).

Ashley arrived just as I finished my cool-down.  We went immediately to the back extention machine.  3 sets of 12 superset with 12 squats.  My squats are getting lower showing that my thighs and glutes are stretching out nicely and getting stronger.  You need to get past the 90 degree squat. Took 10 minutes.

Then we made our way to the pull-up and dip machine.. 3 sets of each of those 12 times per set.  Lots of good breathing to make those muscles work.  That kept my heart rate up.  That took another 10 minutes.

The last 10 minutes of my 30 minute session was on the bike.. kept it at 80 RPM, heart rate at 145-150+, used as a cool down.  Based on the sweat on my brow it didn't appear that way but it does let the muscles calm down with new blood going through them.

So if you look at that short period of 45 minutes  I was able to incorporate cardio with resistance and exercise my upper body.  Of course I made sure I stretched out before I left.

Next trip in I will be alone, so Ashley gave me a workout that starts with at least 30 minutes of cardio followed by pushups, crunches, walking lunges, and leg lifts.  The leg lifts are new.. she says to use a BOSU machine (blue half ball).. may have to google that one :) or at least ask someone.

Hope you like these updates.  Try the routines - if you have any questions I'll get answers.

In the meantime, ReFocus! Stay Fit!

And Invigorate with Verve.

See ya next time
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment